The Youth Sport Trust has started to run virtual after school sports clubs on a daily basis until the 18 December 2020. For any school that does not have an extra-curricular timetable at the moment, this could be a good way of engaging those children who normally attend extra-curricular and community sports clubs.
The emphasis of the club is very much about helping children develop their physical literacy and confidence to try different and new sports. Each after school sport club will be led by an Athlete Mentor who have come from different backgrounds, abilities and sports. These clubs are happening every day at 5pm from 16 November until 18 December, children and young people can join in with the live broadcast for free on our YouTube channel.
The timetable of themes can be found below.
- Adventure Monday – This might involve getting children to do floor, wall climbing and map reading all within their living room
- Tuesday Play – Imaginative play utilising resources in the house to create games and activities to get active
- Wild Wednesday – Some high tempo competitive activities involving personal challenges
- Thinking Thursday – Introducing cognitive challenges for children through movement. Active noughts and crosses and introducing an element of competition – whether that be against themselves, the clock, their siblings or remotely with friends
- Fun Friday – A chance for children to let loose and have some fun. Dancing and doing what makes them feel good.
Find below a downloadable poster that you can put up virtually or as a hard copy to promote the club in school. There is also an after-school club disclaimer form that I would advise you download as well. Please pass this information around to parents and guardians so we can help get more children physically active during these tough times.